Thursday 26 July 2007

Aloha month...

Every school seems to be having Alohoa shirt month at the moment, but actually it's really great because in return for wearing a psychedelic nightmare of a shirt, you can also wear jeans and trainers. Here's a charming photo of me in mine:

I'm holding fans because that's what we're giving out at the moment as flyers to pimp ECC, and I went to the station to give some out. It was pretty fun - most of the punters thought it was hilarious that a gaijin in a terrible shirt was chucking fans at them, and some even tried a bit of English out. I also ended up giving a load out to a gang of troublemaking youths hanging around the local fast food joint ("troublemaking" in Japan being "wearing outlandish clothes and talking quite loudly"). The police eventually turned up to have a word with them - not sure how good a publicity that was, them chatting to the local constabulary while twirling our fans.

Here's a nice photo of the Japanese teacher Eri and me:

Behind the scenes info - Eri is actually quite tiny and is balanced precariously on a tiny stool. She also taught one of my students that day who said to her "Chris is my teacher, he's really fun" - which chuffed me up until she told me he added "and he's got a big nose!". Whaaaatt???!!! Where did that come from?!

Finally, here's a couple of my students getting into the Aloha spirit - maybe not entirely willingly.


2 comments:

Origen said...

As if you get to wear a shirt! None of my schools have a casual dress policy. I did, however, get to hand out fans at the station, and I too was laughed at by many an elderly lady.

Unknown said...

As a foreigner, your nose protrudes out past your face enabling you to balances glasses on it should you choose to. This is what Japanese mean by "big."